Thursday, May 6, 2010

WE WON THIS FIRST ROUND!


The hearing is over and Judge Power will be signing the restraining order against the Leelanau County Road Commission. We are now allowed to put our gates back up and the Road Commissioners have to replace the original signage (Dead End and No Outlet signs) PLUS put up PRIVATE DRIVEWAY signs! This is all great news....and so reassuring that now we can once again provide a quiet and safe sanctuary for the raptors. My continued thanks to you all; for your letters, your financial pledges, your calls, and your warm embraces. The "game" is not over, but at least the Road Commission has been stopped at this point in time.
Let's celebrate!

5 comments:

  1. HUGE congratulations on this, Rebecca! I am thrilled to see this first step fall into place....Sensibility prevails! Although frustrating as all of this is, you will have strong and successful outcomes that will clear the way for getting back to what is important....and hopefully, lessons learned by others in your community will be long lasting....Sometimes if not always, nature wins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I am sorry I couldn't make the hearing, but I am so happy it went in your favor. I did get a reply from the road commission to my letter. It is so obviously a "canned" letter, with a cover letter. I am thinking they got swamped with letters about the situation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific! A huge step forward in public perception, which is important in the outcome of the overall battle. I still can't believe that a government entity can be so disrespectful of the rights of citizens--and birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad reason prevailed...for now, and hopefully into the future. I too received a response from the LCRC stating that "this family (who lived there in the 1800's!)depended upon the road for access and other people have used the road from the 1930s until the present time." Hmm...selective and fictitious fact finding perhaps? Regardless, justice will prevail I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're so relieved to hear the news....and still are amazed that this even happened. I'm sure the birds are smiling :)

    ReplyDelete